Anyone remember the primary school skipping-rope tune "Cinderella, dressed in yella, went upstairs to meet a fella: how many kisses did she get? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5…"? Maybe it was just my school…
Anyway, although when I was little I was actually scared of the colour yellow and I refused to say the word or even recognise it, I have since gotten over this and recently recalling this questionably age-appropriate song inspired me to write this post all about yellow! Yellow is the colour of Spring and Summer and sunshine and daffodils and happiness!
In the past I've had mixed opinions when it comes to incorporating yellow into fashion/beauty-wear, but I've opened my eyes and now think that wearing yellow will help to make me (and maybe others) feel happy and positive! Don't get me wrong, I’m not completely sold on all yellow: I hate mustard for example, and yellow and brown in an outfit just don't work together without looking like a banana.
However, I've done some internet window shopping and have come up with a 'yellow wishlist':
1. I love the sweetheart neckline, classic fitted style and length of this Hybrid dress. Stunning.
2. This Ted Baker bag is so cute, it could brighten up the dullest of outfits!
3. Although this Motel dress would be far too short for me, I love the neckline and over-the-shoulder style seamlessly falling into the skater-style skirt. If only it were a bit longer!
4. These low top trainers by Dorotennis would look cute with a casual yellow dress or turned up jeans.
5. This dress from Ted Baker is very simple and I think would work dressed up or down.
6. Love this simple collarless blazer by Vila.
7. Love Banana Split by Models Own, and I think the fact it's scented is awesome!
8. I think floral hairclips can make any outfit very pretty and girly and this Johnny Loves Rosie clip is no exception. It'd be great to add a little extra detail to a simple outfit.
I've recently found that I do also love a good yellow evening gown. This probably stems from Beauty and the Beast (of course!), although I have found some modern alternatives:
(left) Jennifer Love-Hewitt looks beautiful in this simple Max Azria gown for the 2009 Emmy Awards.
(right) Blake Lively equally pulls off this gorgeous Gucci dress at the New York premier of Savages last year.
I think the key with gowns - and indeed most yellow outfits - is simplicity. However, I think Katherine Jenkins' recital dress at the Classical Brits a few years back in her performance of Habanera from Bizet’s Carmen is stunning, even with the extra detailing at the neckline and gathering around the waist and skirt of the dress:
Anyway, I hope you find some of these pieces inspiring. If you have any of them, let me know if they're as lovely in real life as they look in the pics! Hope Spring is putting a spring in your step and you all have a happy May!